Saturday, January 14, 2012

Magic Rabbit Cake

Let me start out by saying that I am sorry I cannot rotate my pictures.  I am not very computer savvy.
I love making my boys birthday cakes.  At first, I thought I would do something really simple...a wand...how easy would that be?  Brad was looking on the Net with me and we found this Magic Rabbit Cake.  I have a problem...I watch shows like American Chopper, Coast Guard Alaska, Cake Boss and my newest, The Next Great Baker.  I totally feel that in an hour, I can build a motorcycle, become a rescue swimmer and bake a 4 foot Fairytale cake. 

 First let me tell you about the mat.  I used a piece of cardboard that was cut 20 x 24.  I attached red cardstock to the cardboard.  I then attached playing cards to the cardstock.  I was going to use saran wrap to cover the cardstock, but I remembered I had cello wrapping.  That was much easier to work with than saran wrap.
 For my cake, I used 2-9" round cake pans, 1-9 x 13 pan (only used small portion of this cake for the hat) and 1 sheet cake (my sheet cake was made on a cookie sheet).  I used 2 boxes of cake mix for my sheet cake.  The directions I followed to make the rabbit are from Betty Crocker.  The pink ears and nose are Extra bubble gum sticks, teeth are marshmallows.  I did use 4 tubs of  white icing and 1 tub chocolate icing.
This side view is not the greatest.  I wanted to show you the brim of the hat.  The brim is made out of 2-10" cardboard cake circles cut in half.  I pushed them through the sheet cake and frosted them with chocolate frosting and a whole bottle of black gel icing coloring mixed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment